Permanent contract, full-time Hours: Monday-Friday 9.30am-6pm –office based in central London (but currently encompassing some working from home where essential during Covid restrictions) Salary: £23,000 - £25,000 per annum, commensurate with experience Start date: September/ October - TBC Application deadline: 10th September 2021
Who we are
The Soho Agency is a leading literary, theatrical and talent agency based in Soho, London. We represent clients across a range of areas including award-winning on-screen and digital talent, internationally best-selling authors and illustrators, leading writers, directors and creatives for theatre, film and TV, high-profile speakers, and major brands. We are a boutique agency (currently with 20 employees but expanding) with a rich history and a high-profile client list which includes Tim Peake, Ravneet Gill, Warner Brother’s Television, Alison Weir, Tracy Borman, Taylor Jenkins-Reid, Bettany Hughes, John Lewis-Stempel, Mo Gawdat and Jeremiah Emmanuel. See our website at www.thesohoagency.co.uk
We are looking for an enthusiastic and pro-active candidate with strong organisational skills to provide full time administrative and creative support to two of our directors and literary agents, Benjamin Clark and Julian Alexander. Working as part of a small and dedicated team within the agency, this is an ideal job for someone with a keen interest in publishing and the media industry, and a passion for exploring ideas across books, film and TV and digital landscapes. A demonstrable wide range of interests is desirable, particularly in the fields of history, business, science, economics, philosophy, psychology. An interest in fiction is also an advantage. Full training will be offered although some experience of working in an office environment is preferred.
Experience & Skills
• Strong literacy and numeracy skills and a good working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (including Outlook, Word, Excel – inc. spreadsheets & PowerPoint)
• A demonstrable passion for books and ideas as well as knowledge and enthusiasm for the arts, culture and current trends, multi-disciplinarians are welcome
• Confident and clear communication skills
• An enthusiasm for work both collaboratively as a self-starter who can work independently without direct task supervision
• An exacting attention to detail, an ability to manage several tasks at once and good problem-solving skills are key, as will the ability to work well under pressure.
• Discretion and the ability to maintain confidentiality
• Proven work ethic
• Educated to degree level OR relevant commercial and/or industry experience
• Editorial and proof-reading skills an advantage
• Diary and phone management– scheduling meetings, appointments, reservations and bookings
• Some minute taking • Updating agency database Bradbury Phillips, and processing transactions through purchaser vendor portals (training will be provided)
• Generating invoices and chasing payments due
• Maintaining and updating records on internal databases and systems in relation to rights and finance details
• Creating and updating media packs, compiling and sending out pitch materials • Managing social media posts from company accounts and supporting client publicity efforts
• Website updates and news stories, handling fan mail
• Liaising with authors and publishers on a daily basis and assisting clients where necessary
• Preparation of pitch documentation and working on ideas development for existing and new clients
• Assisting in finding potential new clients
• Any other day-to-day tasks that may arise from the running of a small, independent and busy agency
The Soho Agency employs people on the basis of their abilities. We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.
Please apply with your CV and a covering letter (which includes your notice period, if relevant). Applications to be marked for the attention of Ben Clark at email@example.com by 10th September 2021. Please include Book Assistant Application in the subject line.